Our 3rd edition of this 360 Designs Blackmagic J-Box, available exclusively from 360 Designs, is the world’s only solution to simplify connections on your Blackmagic 360 camera, or Blackmagic multi-camera rig. No more messing around with breakout cables, this unit makes things elegant and far more professional.
As the first company to develop expansion solutions for the Blackmagic micro cameras, the 360 Designs J-Box makes it easy to power and synchronize (genlock) your cameras from a single power and genlock source. The same unit is supplied with our Mini EYE™ professional 360 cameras.
Using the J-Box, you can power your rig using the included AC power brick, or professional 12-15v batteries from the likes of Anton Bauer and Switronix, using the supplied 4-pin XLR to D-Tap cable.
With this single power source you can power 3 or 4 Blackmagic Micro Cameras, Cinema or Studio versions, and distribute the critical genlock/sync timing signals to each camera using a single locking, rubber cable.
The use of standard XLR connectors for the camera cables allow the use of readily-available XLR extension cords, to extend the J-Box further away from the cameras.
The J-box leverages the expansion port connectors on the Blackmagic Micro cameras, which use a proprietary format, to supply the power and genlock connections.
A built-in DC power regulator ensures the correct voltages reach each component, and allow you to connect any 12v-15v professional battery to power both the cameras and a 12v accessory, typically a genlock unit. We recommend the Blackmagic Sync Generator for our Mini EYE™ cameras, and supply a genlock kit that includes the Blackmagic sync generator and a custom power cable designed for the accessory power port on this J-Box.
All system connections use locking connections with the highest grade connectors – Neutrik, Amphenol, etc.
With creativity you can use our J-Box to rapidly prototype any 360 video rig, time slicing (Bullet Time) rig, or a ‘plates’ rig for VFX use, that uses Blackmagic micro cameras.
Our v3 J-Box includes
- J-Box for 3 or 4 cameras
- AC power ‘brick’ with 4-pin XLR connector (2 ft. cord)
- ‘Kettle’ type power lead (for the power brick) with US plug. Readily replaceable with non-US lead.
- 110v or 220v (auto-switching)
- 4-pin XLR to D-Tap cable (for powering J-Box off professional batteries)
- Connection diagram / pinout included
- Spare Switchcraft 761KS17 connector (make your own 12v accessory power cable – included for your convenience)
J-Box Features and Specs
- Simplify your cabling on any Blackmagic micro camera based 360 camera or multi-camera array
- Provide power and genlock down a single, rugged, locking cable to each camera
- XLR connectors allow easy extension of the cables to connect each camera to the J-box
- Now use pro-grade timecode generators, with BNC connectors, such as the Blackmagic Sync Generator or AJA GEN10, and originate and distribute timing/synchronization signals to all Blackmagic Micro cameras via the J-Box from a single sync generator. Since each of the above generators have 6 BNC outputs, you can synchronize up to 24 cameras (using six x 4 camera J-Boxes) from a single sync generator. Generally for Mini EYE™ we recommend the Blackmagic Sync Generator and for larger rigs (> 10 cameras) we recommend the AJA GEN10.
- (3 camera version) 3 ‘Genlock’ BNC inputs connect to a sync generator
- (4 camera version) 1 ‘Genlock’ BNC input connects to a sync generator (signal is amplified and distributed to the 4 cameras)
- 1 x 4-pin XLR broadcast standard power input, using the standard connections of Pin 1 – Ground, Pin 4 – Positive. Any 12-15v power source with a 4-pin XLR connector can be used. This powers the whole system.
- Included 4-pin XLR to D-Tap adapter cable lets you connect many professional batteries e.g. Anton Bauer Gold Mount (recommended)
- 1 x regulated 12v accessory output with locking 2.5mm DC connector, frequently used to power a Sync Generator. A spare suitable Switchcraft 761KS17 connector is included to make your own accessory cable.
- Accessory connector rated to 12 watts (The Blackmagic Sync Generator draws 3 watts)
- Integrated DC/DC converter allows use of higher capacity professional batteries up to 15v, while providing regulated 12v power for accessories such as the sync generator
Other Items to Consider
- 360 Designs 6ft camera cables (3 or 4 needed)
- Genlock Cables (3 or 1 needed)
- Professional Genlock Kit (compatible with J-Box)
- Mini EYE™ Monopod Rig (mount the J-Box, camera and other equipment to this)
All our J-boxes are hand made in California, to the highest standards of professionalism and detail.
Weight of 3 Camera J-Box (no cables or AC adapter): 0.5 lbs
Weight of 4 Camera J-Box (no cables or AC adapter): 0.87 lbs
Dimensions of 3 Camera J-Box (including connectors): 4.25″ x 3″ x 1.75″
Dimensions of 4 Camera J-Box (including connectors): 6.25″ x 5.5″ x 1.75″
TIP: We recommend that for customers considering the Mini EYE™ 3 and Mini EYE™ 4, or who may want both cameras in future, it is a good idea to purchase the 4-camera J-Box as it will work with both a Mini EYE™ 3 and 4. If you buy a Mini EYE™ 3 J-Box and decide to add a camera later on, you will almost certainly need to buy a new 4-camera J-Box.