The importance of genlock for professional 360 video and VR filmmaking can’t be overstated. By synchronizing the timing of the camera sensors in a multi-camera array, you capture motion (movement) correctly, and avoid costly headaches and problems in post production.
Few cameras offer true genlock capability. Without it, a multi-camera array will not ever have their frames synchronized, leading to big problems in post production, problems synching up different video files, and almost unfixable issues when shooting fast motion.
The list of cameras that don’t offer genlock is long… GoPro, other ‘action’ cameras, Sony A7, DSLR’s in general. Fortunately the Blackmagic Micro cameras do offer professional genlock, and partly for this reason make such good cameras to create multi-camera and 360/VR rigs.
With our professional genlock kit you receive a Blackmagic Sync Generator with 6 genlock outputs (suitable for up to 6 cameras), and our custom power cord compatible with the J-Boxes from our Mini EYE™ range.
The kit does not include any genlock cables. You will need one cable for our Mini EYE™ 4 J-Box, and three for our Mini EYE™ 3 J-Box. This is because the Mini EYE™ 4 J-Box includes a genlock distribution amplifier.
Genlock Kit Contents
- Blackmagic Sync Generator
- AC Adapter with multi-region plugs
- 360 Designs 12 inch custom 12v accessory cord (powers sync generator directly from J-Box – sold separately)
- 360 Designs recommended sync settings diagram
- Readily configurable to the following frame rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60 fps
- Completely self-contained and designed to work effortlessly with our J-Box
- Uses standard BNC connectors
- 12v power, 3 watts
- More details on the Blackmagic website
Other Items to Consider
Weight (without AC adapter): 0.5 lbs
Sync Generator Dimensions: 5″ x 3.75″ x 1″ (approx.)